An Ode to Penguins

If you're a Friends fan (and who isn't, really), then you're very much familiar with the term "lobster." As in Ross is Rachel's lobster, and vice versa.
 


Well I'm here today to share another crazy animal fact that you may or may not know. Another animal that mates for life...

via

That's right... penguins! I think that announcement merits a gratuitous penguin gif...



But why, for goodness' sake, am I telling you this? Why is it important that penguins mate for life? Because, my friends, today I am taking it upon myself to introduce and honor MY life-penguin and bestie, Cassie, who was born on this day many penguin moons ago!


Cassie and I have been best friends since the early days of the job we both moved out to San Diego for--  the industry was college sports (so cool!) and we often had to work weekends, holidays and late nights (not that cool!) which put us on the fast track to best friend-ship-- that is, once we realized how weird we both were and no longer had to repress our inner weirdness. Phew! Over the past four years we've been through our fair share of ups and downs (mostly ups; she's pretty hilarious, that one). We even tried to start a blog together once! It was called the "B" Blog, and it was awesome. Both of our parents were pretty upset when we abandoned it. Speaking of parents, it's not always that easy living across the country from your family and friends, but have a penguin like Cassie makes the hard times okay. 

I won't embarrass Cassie too much but talking about her on here today (for some reason she hates that...), but I WILL share some of our best memories and favorite parts of our penguinship friendship. 

Like how we insist on wearing tutus on every semi-acceptable occasion, which is mostly Halloween...

Harry and Lloyd with tutus circa 2014
Toddlers and tiaras circa 2012 for the win

How she is my selfie-taking, arm-shelfing partner in crime (and instigator, really)...


And how we used our only opportunity to participate in a golf tournament as an excuse to dress like this...


How she's probably the ONLY person I could go to Vegas with, just the two of us, and have as much fun as we did... 

Hanging out in front of the chandelier at the Cosmopolitan in 2014

How she appreciates holiday celebrations of any kind as much as I do (not to mention mini-sombreros)...

Cinco de Mayo 2013
New Years 2013

And of course... how she has unwavering love and enthusiasm for all things AMERICA... 

Note: tutus again.

So, happy birthday to you, Cassie! My best friend, an even better penguin, and a true patriot. I am so lucky to have you in my life! 

Do you have a "penguin" in your life? What's your favorite memory together?