What I'm Reading Right Now - Volume 2








Hi friends! I happily present my first installment of a blog "series" with the second post rounding up the books I've been reading lately. Basically, the lazy woman's version of a book club (I know, you're welcome). So without further ado, here are the books I've been reading lately:

1. "Lean In"


I know I'm about two years late to the party, but I am finally getting around to reading "Lean In" by Sheryl Sandberg. A colleague of mine lent me her copy after reading my post on impostor syndrome the other week. I'm only a few chapters in (currently on Chapter 3: "Success and Likeability"), but I'm already loving it; Sheryl's take on the leadership ambition gap is insightful and eye-opening, but what I'm really loving are her personal anecdotes and applicable advice for women in the workplace. For example:

"Owning one's success is the key to achieving more success" (44).

"There is a saying, 'Think globally, act locally.' When negotiating, 'Think personally, act communally...' Whenever possible, women should substitute 'we' for 'I'" (47).

I won't comment too much, since I still have the lion's share of the book left, but I'd love to hear from others who have read "Lean In." What were your thoughts?

Note: Sandberg's husband, David Goldberg, who is mentioned multiple times in "Lean In" passed away suddenly on May 1. My thoughts and prayers are with Sheryl and her family. 

2. "We Were Liars"

I had been hearing a lot of buzz about this book for several months (I think I had originally heard of it via The Skimm). It follows the story of a group of privileged young New England teens over the years, with several twists and turns along the way. Anne's review of it was kind of the straw that broke the camel's back, so I decided to download it later that day. Holy wow, guys. While I didn't take to the book very quickly (I thought the writing was juvenile and the concept overdone), that changed in a matter of hours. Full disclosure: I read this book in three days, and I'm still thinking about the ending.

3. "Brain on Fire"

This is another book club pick. Considering our last one wasn't my favorite, I'm approaching this one bit a bit more wariness, but based on the synopsis, it sounds intriguing, at the very least. Has anyone else read this book?

What are you reading right now? Any recommendations? Please share!

Labels: