Weekend Recap: Crawfish + Fairy Godmothers

Happy Monday everyone! I hope you all had wonderful weekends and didn't get sunburned at ALL ('cause I definitely did).

Saturday ended being quite a long day, so my decision to take it easy on Friday night was wise (but let's be honest, "taking it easy" has become pretty much the Friday night standard around these parts). In the morning, I ventured to Los Peñasquitos Canyon Preserve for a hike. I hadn't ever been before, so I was excited to check out some new scenery, and man the scenery did not disappoint. I'll be posting a full blog post on this hiking spot in a few days, but here's a sneak preview:




The real shenanigans began later that day at my friend Ryan's dog-- Roscoe--'s first birthday party, which also happened to be a crawfish boil! I was stoked-- apparently one of Ryan's friends went to college in Louisiana, so is pretty much an expert on crawfish things. I was expecting to show up and just immediately ingest massive amounts of food and beer, but I was wrong... at least about the "immediately" part. Here's the thing: crawfish have to be shipped alive. So when I showed up to the party, food preparations were still being made and the crawfish were still, yes, alive. Like, millions of them (68 pounds, I believe). I'll spare you the "before" picture and just skip straight to the "after:"

Yum.

And of course, I have to include a picture of the birthday boy!

Thank you to Cassie for taking this wonderful Snapchat.

Several beers and few bars later, I woke up on Sunday morning feeling awesome (sike). Thank God for Better Buzz-- their Island acai bowl seriously brought me back to life:


And just in time, because Cassie and I had a show to get to! On Sunday evening, we attended "Cinderella" in downtown San Diego at the Civic Theatre. Such a feel good musical, and I had forgotten how much I loved the music! We had a great time.

Sunday, of course, was also Mother's Day. And I don't mean to brag or anything guys, but my mom is pretty much the best. I didn't get to celebrate with her, but my brothers did a pretty good job of filling my spot:

Look at that handsome group :)

Even though we're on opposite sides of the US, and I don't get to see them as much as I'd like to for the time being, I am so, so grateful for my family, and especially for my mom. Not many women could charge through ~10 military relocations, and make sure their kids were happy, healthy and thriving as gracefully (and happily!) as she did. She is the best example of what a mom should strive to be, and for that, I love her and am so grateful that she is mine! 

In the words of mama G: "Be kind, wear a smile." And have a great week!

Labels: