Recipe: Shrimp & Avocado Salad

I came across this recipe on Pinterest during one of my Sunday morning "what can I make for lunch this week" searches:


Biana actually shared this recipe on Cinco de Mayo, but the pin I found was for a recipe originally assembled by SkinnyTaste. I really liked this recipe because the cilantro and jalapeño give this salad a bit of a kick, but it's a light, refreshing mix of fresh ingredients that won't leave you hungry by 3 pm (thanks to the filling avocado).

For ingredients, you will need:

-1 pound jumbo cooked shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped (I bought the bag below from Trader Joes, and it worked perfectly)
-1 small tomato, diced
-1 avocado, diced
-1 jalapeño, seeded removed and diced fine
-1/4 cup of chopped red onion
-juice of 2 limes
-1 tsp olive oil
-1 tbsp chopped cilantro
-salt and pepper to taste
-Optional: cold cooked pasta noodles


In a small bowl, combine the onion, lime juice, olive oil, and of salt and pepper. Let them marinate at least 5 minutes.

In another large bowl, combine shrimp, avocado, tomato, jalapeño. Combine all the ingredients together, add cilantro and gently toss. Adjust salt and pepper to taste



Optional: I wanted to add one more ingredient to make the salad a bit more filling, so I went with cold cooked pasta noodles. I'm thinking maybe garbanzo beans or even quinoa would work well for this too.


And voila! One super easy, nontraditional salad. I would recommend trying to consume in under three days (otherwise, things get a bit soggy). Enjoy!

Labels: