Your New Favorite SD Brunch Spot: Great Maple

Do you like popovers? Savory breakfast treats (brought around to you personally on trays while you dine?) A homey yet modern European ambiance? Flavorful, delicious brunch beverages?

Well then you're in luck.

This past Sunday, my book club had our monthly gathering (#basic) at Great Maple in Hillcrest. Everyone I've ever known who's been to this place has had nothing but great things to say about it, so I was thrilled to finally schedule in a visit. And ladies and gents, it was spectacular.

One of my biggest pet peeves when I go to brunch is when the menu is small. This meal is essentially combining two smaller ones, so in theory, there should be a ton of choices. Such is the case at Great Maple. You can satisfy your sweet tooth with some powdered-sugar beignets with English lemon curd or brioche French toast (and more!) Or you can load up on savory deliciousness with Great Maple's selection of original popovers, scrambles, breakfast classics or unique items, like breakfast flatbreads or a brisket hash.

On this particular occasion, I went with the Cerrillos Chilaquiles (a traditional Mexican breakfast dish with Corn Tortillas, Fresh Chorizo, Hatch Chile Verde Salsa, Queso Fresca, Scrambled Eggs Roasted Red Peppers, Fresh Cilantro, Fresh Avocado and Sour Cream) for my entree, paired with a tangerine mimosa. I know, yum. But I'll let the pictures do the talking here:


You can check out the full menu for Great Maple here, but before you go, here are some things you should know:

1. Make a reservation. Especially for weekend brunch, you should absolutely make a reservation. And Great Maple is one of the few big brunch spots in San Diego that actually takes them! However, your whole party needs to be there to get seated, so make sure they plan to arrive early because...

2. Parking sucks. This place is great, but it's located in kind of an awkward area. There is a parking lot, but it's fairly small, and you may have to scope for street parking for a while before finding a spot. Or you could always plan ahead and Uber/Lyft! Like I said, the breakfast drinks are great... If you're up for something a little more heavy-hitting, try the Honey Mule; it's served in an adorable glass teddy bear!

3. Come hungry. I mean, this is kind of a no-brainer, but Great Maple is a particularly special case. Of course they have appetizers and entrees you should be prepared to devour, but on top of those menu choices, you can expect to be tempted by trays of treats while you dine. Think scones, doughnuts, croissants... all brought around for individual purchase (about $3 each) throughout the course of your meal. 

I can honestly say that this is now one of my favorite brunch spots in San Diego (do I smell a new blog post idea?), and I can't wait to head back. Have you been to Great Maple? What's your favorite menu item? That is... if you can pick one!

Labels: ,